Marjie Alonso, CDBC, CPDT, KPA CTP is a professional dog trainer and behavior consultant living in Somerville, MA., with her two dogs and two sons.
The foundation of Marjie’s training and behavior work is practical, thoughtful, relationship-based communication between dog and human. She uses positive reinforcement and tailor-made solutions that address both her canine and human clients’ needs. Her goal is to engender understanding and cooperation between dog and handler, and to do so with humor, patience, and a sense of each individual’s needs and best path to success.
Marjie first started her dog training career and internships in the late 1970s in New York City. Marjie trained dogs part time for the next two-plus decades, eventually starting her own full time training and behavior consulting business, City Dog Training, LLC.
In addition to her work at City Dog Training, Marjie is the Executive Director of the International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants. She serves as behavioral consultant to the New England Dog Training Club, where she developed curriculum for puppy and beginner “steps” classes, special classes and the club’s first internship program. She is also a mentor trainer for Animal Behavior College. Marjie was recently appointed to the American Humane Association’s Advisory Board for companion animal training and behavior.
Marjie serves as a behavioral trainer for various dog rescue groups, providing rescue dog acclimation programs, one-on-one training sessions, behavior modification programs, phone and e-mail consults to fosters and adopters. She also writes training and behavior information sheets, providing them to veterinary offices and dog rescues and shelters as handouts for clients and adopters. Marjie is a contributing expert trainer for Dogtime.com.
Marjie takes her continuing education quite seriously, and attends many seminars and workshops each year in the field of dog behavior, behavior modification techniques, training and temperament evaluation and assessment. Recent seminars include those by Terry Ryan; the IAABC and APDT annual conferences; Ian Dunbar; Nosework training and seminars; Dr. Nicholas Dodman; Sue Sternberg; Suzanne Clothier; Patricia McConnell; John Rogerson; Clicker Expo; Kathy Sdao; Pia Silvani; Jean Donaldson and many more, including many advanced internships.
Marjie is a Certified Dog Behavior Consultant (CDBC), a Certified Pet Dog Trainer (CPDT), a Karen Pryor Academy Certified Training Partner, an AKC Canine Good Citizen evaluator, a Professional Member of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT) and is a Certified Member of the International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants (IAABC).
- 2010 IAABC Annual Conference
- 2010 APDT Annual Conference
- Dr. Ian Dunbar Science-Based Training
- Dr. Nick Dodman “causes and treatment for nuisance barking”
- “Chicken Camp” Virginia 2010 with Terry Ryan
- Intro to Nosework with Amy Herot and Jill-Marie O’Brien
- Intro to Nosework, Intro to Odor with Scott Williams
- Drs. Dodman & Dunbar: Dog Behavior, Medicine and Training
- Intro to Animal Acting (Bridge & Target training) with Peg Munves
- International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants Conference: Houston, 2009
- Clicker Expo Providence
- Dr. Amy Marder: The Role of Drug Therapy in Canine Behavior Problems
- Suzanne Clothier: Advanced Trainers Workshops ’08
- ITC Intensive Trainers Seminar THE INSTRUCTOR TRAINING COURSE: Consulting and Problem Solving
- Jean Donaldson: Training and behavior modification techniques; training plans, criteria, evolution of behavior, genetic drift, dog cognition.
- Suzanne Clothier Advanced Trainer’s workshop ’07 (June, August)
- Sue Sternberg Internship in assessment, training, dealing with aggression (Spring)
- Patricia McConnell Advanced Canine Behavior seminar
- Sue Rivers Positive Training for Obedience
- Sue Sternberg Intership, Roundout Valley Animal Shelter
- John Rogerson Advanced Canine Behavior seminar
- Sue Sternberg Internship
- Sue Sternberg Advanced Trainer’s workshop (summer)
- Clicker Expo Newport
- Pamela Dennison Working with Aggressive Dogs seminar
- Suzanne Clothier Advanced Trainer’s workshop (June)
- On-line tutorial Myrna Milani
- Suzanne Clothier Advanced Trainer’s workshop (August)